Tuesday, May 17, 2011

IRONMAN

ST. GEORGE FORD
IRONMAN
MAY 7, 2011
WOW...What an amazing experience/ vacation! My animal of a husband did an ironman a couple weekends ago. He decided on a whim last summer that he was going to do an ironman. He had never clipped in a bike and barely swam and decided that he might as well go big or go home. Well that he did. He is seriously amazing! He didn't get to train as much as he would've wanted to, but still trained a ton! Between my random things going on at night and tay's training, we hardly got to hang out together. I personally was ok with it though because I kind of understand wanting to train for something and putting in the time. We both understand each other. The coolest part about this whole experience is that Tay got to do this with his dad. It was beyond neat to watch a father and son do such an amazing feat. I could go on forever about the whole weekend but pictures say more than words...
2 days before the race we went to the check in point and got all numbered up and bought some ironman gear.
The day before we had to go take all of Tay's stuff to the 2 transition areas. We thought it would be a 5 minute trip but it was an all day thing! We went to sandhollow and hung out with some of our friends that are doing it. It was neat to just see everything and how bit of an event it was prior to it starting! Also a huge shout out to all of friends who did it and especially the wives (my friends)...we deserve a medal for all the training and for even spectating that day. Let's just say it was not easy with Mckaylee and Stockton.
We had a great little pool at our place and Mckaylee was obsessed with it! She could've swam all day! She was hilarious...jumping in and out and going under for hours on end. Stockton was ok getting in the pool but was much more hesitant (not shocking at all). It was just so nice to be warm!
The night before Cregg and Tay did a little devotional. It was so neat. Cregg opened his journaling log of his training and they thanked the wives and family members for all the support. My amazingly sweet husband told me how grateful he was for me and how much he loved me. Of course there was not a dry face in the room. it was so emotional hearing these amazing guys talk about their journey. It was also so great being with all of Tay's family. Teddy and Scott flew all the way from Omaha to come see the event! It was the biggest treat having them there. I just love having them around and their little girl Janey is so adorable and such a good baby! I can't wait for Scotty to be done with school!!! It's not the same without them. Tay's grandparents also came. It was so fun having them around. Then we had Crystal, Cregg, Eileen, Monty, Matthew, and Joe. Now that's Family support!!!!!

THE SWIM.... 2.4 MILES.
I didn't get to see it in person because I had to watch my kiddos and spectators had to take a bus at 5:30a.m. and were stuck out there until 11 a.m. and I knew that was not possible with 2 toddlers. I luckily have great friends that took pictures!!

Taylor killed it on the swim! He did way better than anyone expected! He seriously is an athlete.... He was up with the pro's (not as fast as them but pretty dang close)
My camera busted during the race :( I only got one bike picture. I ran with the kiddos to mile 6 of the bike. It was 1 mile away from our condo. It was kind of funny because I was tired from my 2 mile up/ downhill run while my husband was doing 70x that! 140.6 miles to be exact.

He again killed it on the bike! We kept watching his pace that was registered online and he was doing faster that we all thought he would. I kept missing him at all the points. it was beyond frustrating! Spectating is a hard sport :)
Then came the run....my husbands strong point! It was 93 degrees when he started the run. It was even hot for us spectators! Um, well today running wasn't his best sport. He got super sick. I felt so bad for him. He had major stomach pain/ cramps and had to walk 10 miles of the marathon. That is so unlike Tay. I got emotional when I saw him because I knew he was so frustrated. It wasn't until mile 20 that he felt better. He was able to run the last 6 miles. He still finished in an awesome time. I'm so proud of him!
This was us spectating....
Best moment of the day....seeing my husband approach the finish line. I found a spot to sneak in and I got the best kiss! I love my friend Jenna for catching the moment on camera!!!

CONGRATS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!!!
Not many people can do what he has now done!
I love you and am so beyond proud!!!!!

After Tay finished I went and put the kiddos down to bed and got a babysitter and came back to watch Tay's dad finish. He is the most in shape dad I know and he trained better than anyone I know. what a stud!!! He finished in close to 16 hours. His bike chain even broke and he still did great!

CONGRATS TO MY HUSBAND, MY FATHER IN LAW, AND THE OTHER PEOPLE I KNEW THAT DID IT!

We had such a fun trip! The kids did great and had so much fun. The ironman day was long for them and they still did good considering. They place we stayed was super nice and we had our own suite but the kiddos had to sleep in the same closet and they still did great considering!

I don't know when Taylor will do another ironman, but I know he will. He was less sore than I am after I run a race. He really is superhuman.

I LOVE YOU BABE!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST HUSBAND, DADDY, AND NOW IRONMAN I KNOW!!!

5 comments:

Vic, Linds, and the girls... said...

You guys are quite the duo. What an accomplishment for Taylor. You guys amaze everyone!

abby o said...

Aaah, the post I've been waiting for. What fun to see all your pictures. Way to go Taylor! I almost can't imagine doing that. And Keri, you DO deserve a medal for being about the most supportive wife everrrr.

Jeff and Mallory said...

Seriously coolest thing ever! Congrats Taylor!

al + sar said...

You guys are amazing! Especially Tay! Way to go!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Wow how do you even respond to that, that is AMAZING! Congrats Taylor! I can't even imagine swimming for an hour straight, let alone almost 6 hours on a bike, ouch! And I can't even run around the block, so suffice to say, this is UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!

Also, Keri I had to laugh at your comment about Mckaylee being the dare devil and Stockton was more hesitant - seriously story of my life with Lance and Tallie! :)

Congrats again, what an incredible accomplishment, and way cool doing it with your dad!