ST. GEORGE MARATHON 2013
(PR Race for my hubby)
Such a bittersweet weekend with my family and friends. The weekend was fun and a little more relaxing without my baby. My cute mom called before and said she was going to take Kace so that I wouldn’t have to carry him because technically I should be on crutches/ laying down as much as possible which is impossible. I love my mom and she really is the most patient motherly hard working and selfless person I know. I don’t know what I would do without her!
We headed down friday after kids preschool. We stopped in provo for taylor to hit up an office so he could count the day. While he was working we went to a gas station a couple miles away and once we got there I realized Tay had kept the keys so he had to sprint down provo main street in his work clothes to get back to us :) He came into Maverik dripping sweat. We got there and went to dinner with the Wests, got a swig sugar cookie and went back to the Wests house to settle down for bed. Kiddos had a rough time going to bed so Tay didn’t get a ton of sleep the night before the race. It was so weird for me to go to bed know that I wasn’t waking up to race. At 7:30 am I started getting a million texts. I honestly kept thinking who would be texting me so much. I got up to realize it was the race alerts. Everyone was off! I tracked I think 15 people and everyone was doing great. The weather turned out to be perfect. Tailwind pushing everyone up the veyo hills. Nice cooler conditions that you can perform in.
After dropping twins off at a babysitter I headed to finish line and was able to watch the first woman come in. I was at finish line with Debbie Tebb’s family and Jess Perry’s family and Kelly Nixon and Angie Larkin. We knew Debbie was doing well and we were right. We saw her coming down the shoot around 2:52 and noticed that Tay was right next to her!! Holy crap they both ran 2:53!!! Unreal!! They both smashed their PR’s! and smashed their goal for sub 3. When I saw both of them the tears just started relentlessly coming down my face. It was a combination of super happy and proud and wishing I was right there along side of them! Pretty sure I could never run a 2:53 but I would love to do a sub 3 hour marathon! I wish I could’ve tried yesterday because everyone said those were the best conditions they ever had in the marathon. It just kills me. I won’t dwell on it but it was really hard to see everyone do so well and not be there with them. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone and I wasn’t mad at anyone and was truly genuinely happy for everyone and their great races….just wish I could’ve been there too. I did enjoy cheering everyone on and watching their success. Everyone seriously did amazing! All of my good close friends qualified for Boston! Kylee did a 3:30 and it was her first marathon! So amazing! I was shocked! I was also shocked with Jessica Knowles. She busted out a 2:57 on her first marathon!!! She is in a different league!
For the first time ever Tay wasn’t sick either! It was a good day for him! It was a perfect day for him! He said he just felt strong and with each approaching mile he realized he was going to sub 3 even if he significantly slowed down. He drank at every aid station and alternated water and gatorade. He ate 3 gu’s and one honey stinger waffle. That the best he has ever supplemented. What a good feeling! I am seriously so so happy for him! I can’t believe how amazing he is and he is just coming off of an ironman too….13 days ago! Come on..who does that?!? He finally was able to show what he’s got because he usually gets too sick to do that. The stars aligned :)
Jess Perry also busted out a 3:17 and she is 24 weeks pregnant. I bet people were dying as the pregnant woman passed them :) She is one tough chica! I’m so proud and happy for everyone! I have super speedy friends!
I cried quite a bit yesterday and the night before the race and after just because I felt weird. I normally would be with everyone at the top with the huge anticipation ahead freezing our butts off but laughing at the same time. I usually experience that major euphoric feeling of completely 26.2 miles and pushing your body. I usually get to hang out with all my friends in the runners finishing area and talk about how our race went and have that huge sense of accomplishment. Instead I was on the side lines kind of feeling out of place and not knowing how to feel. Bittersweet is the word that comes to mind. It was a hard sad day but I was also very happy for everyone. I celebrate their victories and just pray that I soon can be off the side lines and back in the game with all my dear friends and sweet husband. I hate that I care so much! I hate that a silly race is such a big deal to me because really running isn’t my life. The one thing this injury has taught me is to be humbled and patient and that my trial in life is so miniscule. I know it’s a big deal to me but I will be the happiest person in the world if my big trial in my life right now is to just not workout and run. I can get through that. I am blessed with the greatest little family that makes me so happy. I am blessed with an amazing husband, a great home, cars, the gospel, friendships and loved ones and ample of many things. I know that I will run and race again because I love it! I know that i will work hard (and not work hard right now while I rest) so that I can get back to what I love but in the meantime I know that it’s not the end of the world and I know that there are so many other things that provide happiness.
The rest of the vacation went good. (Aside from Mckaylee's whiney and tantrum this morning....where she seriously didn't want to do anything and everything we said she whined about :) ) We just swam, Tay went to priesthood, I went with Heidi Hastleton and Angie Gates and their fams to play and then we got ice cream and watched a movie and went to bed. Kiddos love going on vacation and love sleeping in the same room with us and hanging out with friends all day long (Nixon is truly a brother to them). We are on our way home right now anxious to see our baby and to listen to conference and be spiritually edified. We listened to President Monsons talk and it hit home because it was about trials and patience and understanding. Definitely something I need right now. We had a great nice weather vacation and now it’s back to reality and trying to rest as much as possible.







No comments:
Post a Comment