Friday, January 21, 2011

OUR FIRST VISIT TO THE HOSPITAL

MCKAYLEES FIRST VISIT TO THE ER, FIRST TRIP ON AN AMBULANCE, AND FIRST STAY AT PRIMARY CHILDRENS...

Starting last week Mckaylee was really sick. She has technically been diagnosed with asthma and so when we went to the doctor he thought that she was just having a harder time because of the bad air. He gave her a steroid shot to hopefully keep her coughing, wheezing and sickness under control. She ended up throwing up in the doctors office. I kept thinking it had to be more, but all of her levels appeared to be fine on Wednesday. On thursday night after having a really hard day with her I put her to bed and from there on out she coughed and cried all night. I finally went and laid with her and realized her breathing was really super labored and her chest was working really hard to get a breath. I immediately called my mother in law because Taylor was out of town all week. She rushed over to take Stockton and Mac and I rushed to the Jordan Valley ER. When we got out of the car she vomited 4 times before we got into the hospital. They immediately assessed her and her oxygen levels were way below critical so they rushed us into a room and immediately hooked her up to Oxygen and put a mask with albuterol on her. Her levels when we got there were 84% and didn't go above 89% even with all the oxygen being put on her. After a few treatments and a steroid shot they determined she needed to go to Primary Childrens. They put us on an ambulance and we were on our way. I could go on forever with my emotions of this day, but it would be the longest post ever. Long story short we were in the ER at Primarys for 3 hours while they continued to get her oxygen under control and still had a hard time. Once we got into a room she finally got in the mid 90th percentile while on oxygen. I finally was able to relax a little bit. Taylor flew back in town a little early and she honestly perked up when she saw daddy. Mckaylee is daddy's little girl. From there on out Tay and I switched going up to the hospital and staying home with Stock. We had a lot of help from so many people. I will have a separate post of the help, but thanks everyone that helped and supported and said prayers.

Mckaylee struggled for a few days and wasn't improving at all. Because she has the asthma component they had a hard time really figuring out what she had. They knew she was RSV and bronchiolitis positive but she was struggling so they thought she could have had pneumonia or something else. They did a few chest xrays and checked her a ton. She was suctioned out every 3-4 hours for a 4 days and did the albuterol mask breathing treatment right after being suctioned. Finally on Monday morning she turned the corner and started acting a ton better and by Monday night we were able to go home!

Mckaylee was deemed "the hard patient" because toddlers are hard. She kicked and screamed and she is a strong girl. Both Taylor and I cried more than we ever had in the 15 years that we have known each other. It was definitely a bonding time for our little family and I truly loved being able to just cuddle and play with my little girl one on one for days but it was by far the hardest thing I've been through. To see your child suffer and so uncomfortable and be tormented by a million doctors and nurses and sit in the same room and not be able to move because they hooked up to oxygen cords, oxygen reader cords and an IV. It was so sad, but it is behind us now and she is a happy happy little girl. I could write so much more, but here are a few pics...

Jordan Valley's ER
The ambulance ride. She was so good the whole time. She didn't sleep but just sad there drinking her bottle
Primary's ER (she cuddled with me all day because we hadn't slept at all the night before) and Daddy arriving
Although she cried and screamed a lot she also was pretty dang good and smiled a little.
Elevator ride to get an X-ray and the X-ray to see if there was something more going on. Cutest patient ever.
Playing with daddy, watching a movie, and taking a bath (which she didn't love)
A little cuddle time. My favorite part about the stay at the hospital
The nurses were always impressed with her eating. She was still pretty good considering how sick she was. Girl loves her food and bottle!
Can you get a cuter little patient than this?!? We are so happy to have her home and back in our arms without all the cords. It's amazing how having a sick kid really makes you appreciate the simple things in life. Love you baby doll!!!!

5 comments:

al + sar said...

Oh so sad! These pictures are heartbreaking! Im glad she is feeling better! Hopefully Stock gets better soon. xoxo

Jeff and Mallory said...

Poor thing. Glad she is doing better!

Whit, Lindsey, Jonas, and Maggie said...

Oh that is sad! I'm so happy that you are home now,and feeling better. No one should have to spend that long in the hospital. Not fun.
Sorry guys! :)

Katie and Jeff Wood said...

Oh gosh Ker!! I can't even read it! wow.. that would be so hard seeing her struggle and cry like that. you guys are such troopers. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I so wish I was there to help you :(. I am glad you are finally home... our love goes out to you guys xoxo

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Keri, I totally teared up while reading that. I am so sorry you had to go through that. Reading it brought back some of the emotions I had when Lance was in the ICU in November. It is so scary and hard to see your child so helpless. Your whole ordeal seems so scary, especially having Taylor gone. On a positive note, isn't it amazing once they turn that corner how fast they can improve? Little kids are so resilient. Glad this is now in the past for you guys, and glad everything turned out to be ok.