Friday, June 29, 2012

My least favorite thing as a mom

THE BIGGEST NIGHTMARE AS A MOM.... 
POTTY TRAINING!!

We started last saturday June 23rd.  It actually started off better than I planned.  I read the potty train in a day book.  We started off "potty training" the dolly.  We had the doll drink water and go pee, watch her have an accident, and they get treats periodically.  They kept going potty on the toilet and were really doing great and seemed to be excited.  I put pull ups on them during naps (I know some people say not to but I choose to because my daughter always has huge diapers). They were so tired so I'm glad they napped.  After naps we had a birthday party and I probably shouldn't have gone but it was our neighbor and it was a princess/ superhero party and they have been talking about it all week.  Mckaylee had an accident while we were there but luckily it was on hardwood floor.  Stockton did good. 

The rest of the week has been so up and down.  Peeing has actually been pretty easy.  I think between the two of the them they have had 5 accidents total over the past 6 days and 3 of them were when we drove to my parents and probably went too far from the house too soon.  It is now friday and we haven't had an accident since tuesday. Stockton doesn't even need pull ups anymore and Mckaylee is actually good during naps.

Ok on the other hand the poop thing is KILLING ME!!!  I knew Mckaylee would be hard because she always had a million diapers and (TMI) pooped all the time just a little.  I thought that things would change when she was potty trained because she would want to hold it more and go all at once but boy was I wrong.  I think I wash/ change like 10 pieces of underwear a day that has skid marks in it. (again TMI). And the few times we have gone swimming or put a swim diaper on her she immediately goes.  Today she went in her underwear completely.  I guess on the bright side she did go on the potty once yesterday and 3 times today on the toilet. But is is possible for a child to poo so much?  She went 3 times on the toilet today, 2x in her underwear, and a few small times while she was naked. I feel like we are wiping bums all day!  We are suppose to go to Jackson Hole on sunday but there is no way we can go if she is still like that.

Stockton on the other hand hasn't gone poop at all on the toilet but his issue to me isn't at all as bad because I'm not dealing with it as much.  He has gone in his underwear 3x and in a swim diaper once.  I know it's a common problem with kids and I'm more patient with it.  Mckaylee is just so dang hard because all day long i'm changing her and wondering if she is going.  I can't wait til this is all behind us.  I'm ready to go out again to normal places.  We have had lots of friends over to play in the sprinklers and I have gone to the pool but we haven't gone to the gym this week or anywhere else.  

I think this week has stressed me out too because starting tuesday I got some crazy pains on the bottom right side of my stomach.  It felt like a really really bad sideache.  It would get so bad that I would be doubled over in pain.  It lasted periodically through the night and in the morning so I called the dr and because I am 29 1/2 weeks along they wanted to make sure it was not preterm labor so they sent me straight to labor and delivery.  My cute sis in law Teddy and mother in law Eileen watched my kids all day because I was at the hospital from 10:30 til 4:30.  There was a point when the pain was so bad that they had to give me morphine.  They did a million different tests.  They monitored to see if I was having too many contractions and I wasn't and the pain wasn't along with contractions.  They took my pee sample 2x, cathed me, took my blood a few times, checked my cervix, gave me an IV thinking it could have been dehydration, etc and there was nothing.  The baby in the mean time was beyond good.  According to the nurse he is one of the most active babies she knows :) They then started testing for kidney stones and that came out negative and last they tested to see if I was going to go into labor in the next weeks by some test and that came out negative as well so there was no reason to keep me.  Honestly I still don't know what the pain was but it hasn't come back since that day. That night I was so sick from the morphine that I actually ended up throwing up.  Tay was so good to take the kids (even though he made the comment "are we really going to have three kids?"...yep he was a bit frustrated :) ). Since then I have felt totally great and hoping to continue this way because I can't afford to have to take it totally easy with my kiddos.  

Here's to hopefully tomorrow being a success :) We have bribed them with a bike if they poop and to go on the trax train.  Mckaylee technically has gone 4 times but she still goes in her pants so we can't celebrate yet :)

 First day....
 Playing with our friends on our park


 This is taken today.  Thought it was cute in their underwear :)
Trying to get Mckaylee to go poopy :) 

3 comments:

Jeff and Mallory said...

I feel for you! I am terrified for when I train hazy! I'm sure it will get better!

Unknown said...

so not looking forward to this...
you guys are doing a great job!
as adrian said, i think you deserve an award! (the kids get bikes... but, what do you get??)

caisa said...

that last comment was from caisa... not sure why it showed as unknown. weird.